Nexus clarification

Rick Sutcliffe's fiction or other CSF

Moderator: rsutc

a2history

Nexus clarification

Postby a2history » 2003 09 04 1115

Me again.

I had the impression that a Nexus in the Interegnum books refers to the event or decision that results in a division of the worlds (i.e., Pilate either washes his hands of Jesus or he does not, etc).

However, in one of the first two volumes of the series, it makes mention of the last nexus lasting nearly 1000 years, from A.D. 29 to 1014.

Could this be clarified for me? Is the Nexus an event, or a process?
Steven Weyhrich <IX0YE>--<
Apple II History
http://apple2history.org

rsutc

Re: Nexus clarification

Postby rsutc » 2003 09 06 0725

a2history wrote:Me again.

I had the impression that a Nexus in the Interegnum books refers to the event or decision that results in a division of the worlds (i.e., Pilate either washes his hands of Jesus or he does not, etc).

However, in one of the first two volumes of the series, it makes mention of the last nexus lasting nearly 1000 years, from A.D. 29 to 1014.

Could this be clarified for me? Is the Nexus an event, or a process?

Many of the characters have that initial understanding of Nexus. However, even in the short, fast acting divisions, the explanation turns out to be more complex. One decision triggers the start of a nexus, but in at least some cases, several more decisions take place before the thing completes and the worlds completely divide. The nexus of 2001 (not yet described fully in the books, but coming) hinged on at least four decisions, as I recall, though the main trigger to start was that of Lucas, and the conclusion that of Margaret.

The long nexus began with Pilate, but the division of the two worlds did not complete until 1014. As Tirdia and Ortho look back on their respective histories, they find widening circles of differences radiating out from Jerusalem, but some places with identical stories until Clontarf. Their scholars are just beginning to see the whole picture, but the Metans have known this all along. Then the break became complete and history diverged thereafter, though there are still linkeages, and some major events are similar on both planets. An example of the latter is the Three Worlds' War, which engulfed Waterworld, Tirdia, and Ortho at the same time, but whose antagonists and issues were most similar between the latter two.
[On Ortho, Ireland fought both Germany and Japan, though the fascist problems were in Ireland, not so much elsewhere.]

The number of nexi is believed to be five by most scholars, but Metans puzzle over three other historical events that look like nexi, though without a new earth being formed. Or, did one? After all the nexus of 2001 was known to have produced a new earth, but it vanished from the Timestream. Where did it go?

There are stories to tell, and stories to tell.
Rick
Rick Sutcliffe
Non-fiction, Christian SF, and columns
http://www.arjaybooks.com

a2history

Nexus clarification

Postby a2history » 2003 09 06 1027

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. Of course, my perception of this phenomenon is colored by other fiction that I've read that discusses changes in a world caused by an event (i.e., Eternity Inc. by Asimov, or the "Sliders" TV show of a few years ago).

Still, it seems that even if the differences between worlds are minimal, if there IS a difference, the worlds ARE different. Between 29 and 1014, the simple fact that the Sanhedrin almost completely converted and accepted Jesus as the Messiah, due to their viewing of the events of Christ's death and resurrection from Tirdia, would have resulted in a dramatically different earth. No persecution by the Jewish leaders, presumably no martyrdom of Stephen (at least not in Jerusalem), a different spread of the Gospel than is recorded in Acts (which is why the book is named differently there), etc, etc.

Even if many historical events are not significantly changed until 1014, events are definitely different if even one person dies or lives.

>> One decision triggers the start of a nexus, but in at least some cases,
>> several more decisions take place before the thing completes and the
>> worlds completely divide

But a world that is not the same any longer it seems should be a different (divided) world. For example: in the American Civil War, General Grant choses to move his troups to this location instead of that location, and the outcome in case A is a decisive victory that brings the Civil War to a conclusion (Lee surrenders), in case B the battle is a draw and it delays the end of the war (but does not change the North being the victor), and in Case C it results in a defeat for Grant, a regrouping of the South, and ulitmately a defeat of the North and the full formation of the Confederate States of America. In all three situations it would seem that a new world could, potentially, be formed.

I can understand that it takes a really significant decision and outcome for an actual dividing of worlds to occur, in the way the Interregnum series is written. You don't get a new world just because I decided to leave for work five minutes later than usual (although that decision could have far-reaching consequences, if that delay resulted in avoiding an auto accident that would have otherwise occurred). But it would seem that the worlds MUST have split when Pilate did not wash his hands of Jesus on Hibernia, even if the face of the world was not greatly different until 1014.

Does your previous answer reflect only what the characters in the books understand about the Nexus phenemenon? Is there still a more complete and correct answer that even the Metans don't understand, but God (who created it and knows every tiny detail of it) does understand?

Or am I asking things that willl be better revealed in Books 4, 5 and/or 6, and I should just be patient for this revelation? :D

Apple II History

rsutc

Postby rsutc » 2003 09 07 0726

a2history wrote:
Does your previous answer reflect only what the characters in the books understand about the Nexus phenemenon? Is there still a more complete and correct answer that even the Metans don't understand, but God (who created it and knows every tiny detail of it) does understand?

:D

For someone living in the Mediterranean Ortho and Tirdia were radically different by the end of the first century. For someone living in Ireland, they were not, except as one related to distant events, which wasn't much. In fact, the worlds were incompletely divided, with the boundary between the two states slowly moving across Europe for a millenium. Of course at the boundary, very strange things sometimes happened (some of which a character who was there will one day narrate), and in the most recent nexus (which took 22 days to complete) it turned out that time itself was affected on the two daughter worlds and on waterworld while Tirdia and p-Earth were still partly joined. Two adjacent worlds in the Timestream still affect each other strongly, but no pair more strongly than Ortho and Tirdia, or, now, Tirdia and p-Earth. Lucas and Mara have some interesting problems to sort out, especially as they learn what only two other men suspect, (and try to determine God's purpose in all this) that there is more to the Timestream than the Metans and Orthans have always "known".
Rick Sutcliffe

a2history

Nexus clarification

Postby a2history » 2003 09 07 1408

An intriguing and mysterious answer. Yet another reason that I am greatly anticipating the latest installments in this series!

Apple II History

rsutc

Postby rsutc » 2003 09 08 0454

a2history wrote:An intriguing and mysterious answer. Yet another reason that I am greatly anticipating the latest installments in this series!

I should say that the next book, tentatively called "The General" will not be available for a few months. It follows Maeve, Cath, Mara, Tad, and others for a few years each (Mara for one I think) and introduces Lucas. However, it does not reach to the actual Nexus.
Rick Sutcliffe

Return to “Christian SF”